I have found that it is helpful to have a few easy and fun activities to do with my little ones during the winter months. It can get very cold here in Western Pennsylvania and unsafe to play outdoors for too long. Hands-on crafts and storytimes are great ways to keep your kids engaged and have some learning fun, too.
This Easy Snowman Craft & Song For Winter Fun is an awesome way to add art, music, reading, and basic math to your family learning fun. I created this free printable Learning Fun With Snowmen pack to help us include these activities.
Easy Snowman Craft
You probably have most, if not all, of these supplies in your craft supplies. The jingle bells add a musical touch to your craft. Kids love to use while singing songs and practicing beats. Suggested materials for this snowman craft include:
- hole punch
- black marker
- two different sized glasses or lids to trace for circles
- cardstock (substitutes: construction paper or cardboard)
- glitter washi tape (substitute: glitter and glue)
- pipe cleaners
- small jingle bells
- large craft sticks
- On white cardstock, trace and cut out one large and one small circle.
- Cut out hat on black or other color cardstock.
- Glue the large circle onto a craft stick. Glue small circle at top of the large circle.
- Glue hat onto the top of the small circle.
- Use hole punch for two holes in the center of hat.
- Cut pipe cleaner into 2" strips. Add jingle bell (or two) and position into the center of pipe cleaner. Insert ends of the pipe cleaner into holes and twist. Cut off excess pipe cleaner.
- Select and add a glitter washi tape to use for a scarf.
- Cut orange washi tape into a small rectangle for snowman nose.
- Add eyes, smile, and buttons with black marker.
Great Snowman Books For Storytime
Snowman books are a hit with many kids in winter. Here are a few of my boys' favorites for our homeschool storytime:
The Itsy Bitsy Snowman
(great board book for little ones!)
(super cute ideas on how to use found objects to make a snow family!)
Free Printable: 5 Little Snowmen Storytime Song
The boys and I started singing this song while we worked on this snowman craft. I thought it would be fun to turn into a free printable for all to enjoy. Click on the image below to subscribe to Rock Your Homeschool for weekly updates, exclusive access to free resources, and monthly challenges to help your rock your homeschool (and family life). You will receive a password to access all free subscriber freebies plus receive a weekly email with homeschool tips, encouragement, and more!
What are some of your favorite snowmen books to enjoy with your family?