As a mom, how do you enjoy self-care time?
If you’re like most moms I know, self-care time feels absolutely glorious.
And doesn’t happen nearly enough 😉
You know you need it. In fact, you crave it.
But, mom life is busy. So busy, in fact, that your needs get buried at the bottom of laundry piles, schedules, and stuffed animals.
Instead of shrugging your shoulders and just accepting it, do something about it, mama! Because you can only go on like this for so long before having a meltdown, burning out, or starting to have long conversations with your wallpapered kitchen wall.
Add yourself to your priority list. Make self-care a thing. Join me in the Mommy Self-Care Movement!
Why It’s Important to Enjoy Self-Care Time
You work hard, mama. Every day. At all hours, you’re ready to jump up and be there for your family.
Your precious loved ones benefit from your care, attention, and love. You give your all and then some.
But, burnout is real. And can look ugly.
I’ve had my share of ugly mommy meltdowns. When my anger and anxiety and overwhelm reach their limit, I burst at the seams. Poof! All of my patience and good intentions fly out the window.
I don’t like myself very much when that happens.
And what I get so frustrated with myself about is that I KNOW what I need to do to prevent those messy meltdowns from happening.
Why don’t I always do it?
Well, to be honest, I let our busy schedule get in the way. I put off self-care time in order to get one more thing done. I push myself because I set unrealistic expectations on myself and what I *should* be able to do in any given day.
Can you relate? If you’re like most moms that I know, you’re all like:
Well, I’m trying to be smarter about this whole self-care thing as a mom. Be proactive. Get myself in the right mindset with reminders and resources to make the most of “me time” and circumvent those messy mommy meltdowns.
Plus, I KNOW that you can enjoy self-care time and it makes you a better person. And then you can do all the things you need or want to do with a smile 🙂
Self-Care Ideas & Inspiration to Overcome Struggles
There are a few reasons why I struggle to make self-care happen. Are you familiar with these struggles?:
- Neglect to plan for self-care time
- Forget to schedule childcare
- Run out of hours in the day
- Don’t take time to figure out what I really need at that moment
- Lack of ideas and inspiration when self-care time becomes available
To make sure I’m ready for “me time”, I put together this list of self-care ideas and activities. I do best with a goal, like improved self-care, when I brainstorm and work on creative ways to incorporate this new habit into my life. The more I think about it, the more excited I get and actually want to get started!
Check out these ideas of easy and affordable ways to enjoy self-care time as a mom. You’ll find my tips and suggestions to encourage and inspire you to make time for self-care.
Oh, and if you’d like to enjoy self-care time or a boost with filling your cup, make sure to grab my guide + resources in How to Make the Most of Time for You: Powerful Self-Care for Moms. This guide will help you dig deep into your self-care practices and develop a customized self-care plan that works for you in this season of your life 😉
Oh! And there’s a handy dandy free printable checklist of these self-care ideas for moms at the end of this post! Grab your free download, print it out, & tuck it in a spot for quick reference whenever you need self-care inspiration 🙂
You might think “Uh-duh!” with some of these ideas. Like, I need a reminder for styling my hair?!?
Undertake these activities with a self-care mindset. Approach each activity in a slow, deliberate way that’s meant to serve you.
So, styling your hair with smooth, gentle strokes and trying a different part or updo. Make the experience meaningful and positive.
I’ve divided ways to enjoy self-care time into four categories:
- Creative & Motivational
Oftentimes, a suggested activity could be placed in a different category according to your likes and needs. Feel free to switch things up according to your preferences. And add your own ideas to enjoy self-care time!
Pampering to Enjoy Self-Care Time
Could you use a bit of pampering? As a mom, sometimes our basic hygiene needs even fall into this category 😉
And that’s okay! Make the most of this time and really enjoy it-even if it is only shaving your legs.
- Bath: Have time for a luxurious bath? A long soak in the tub can be just the ticket when you need a bit of pampering.
6 Organic & Natural Bath Bombs, Handmade Bubble Bath Bomb Gift Set, Rich in Essential Oil, Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Grape Seed Oil, Fizzy Spa to Moisturize Dry Skin, Perfect Gift idea For Women.Aprilis Bath Bombs Gift Set, Organic & Natural Bath Bomb, Lush Fizzy Spa to Moisturize Skin with Shea Essential Oils, Perfect Mother’s Day Gift, Birthday Gift for Best Friends, Mom & Kids, 4.0 oz x 6Dr Teal’s Epsom Salt Bath Soaking Solution, Eucalyptus and Lavender, 2 Count, 3lb Bags – 6lbs TotalShea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Dead Sea Salt Muscle Relief Mineral Soak for Unisex, 20 OunceVillage Naturals Therapy Mineral Bath Soak Variety Set 3 Pack – Restless Nights, Aches & Pain, Stress & Tension (20oz Jars)2 Pack of Dr. Teal’s Soothe & Sleep with Lavender Body and Bath Oil, 8.8 fl oz eaKneipp 6 Piece Herbal Bath Oil Set, 6 x 20 Milliliter BottlesDr Teal’s Coconut Oil Foaming Bath, 34 fl oz Dr. Teals (Pack of 3)Honest Calming Lavender Hypoallergenic Bubble Bath with Naturally Derived Botanicals, Dreamy Lavender, 12 Fluid OunceBath Pillow, SMZCTYI Ultra Supportive & Anti-Slipping Bathtub Pillow with 6 Reinforced Suction Cups, Easy to Dry Bath Pillows for Different TubsNon-Slip Bath Pillow with Suction Cups, Supports Neck and Shoulders Home Spa Pillows for Bathtub, Hot Tub, Jacuzzi, Bathtub Head Rest Pillow Relax & Comfy – BlueBOSSJOY Luxury Wood Bamboo Bathtub Bath Tub Caddy Tray with Extending Sides Built in Book Tablet Phone Wineglass Holder
- DIY massage: Don’t have time or money to book a spa date. You can still enjoy the therapeutic benefits of a massage that you give yourself. You can easily make a DIY massage oil or pick up a relaxing oil with lavender, peppermint, and marjoram. Bliss!
- Shower: The feel of hot water streaming from the top of your head all the way down to your toes can be such a delightful way to enjoy self-care time. A special shower gel or soap can make even a short shower wonderful. Other easy ways to feel pampered in the shower is using a new puff or washcloth. If you have more than a few minutes, take time to exfoliate and *gasp* shave your legs!
OGX Extra Creamy + Coconut Miracle Oil Ultra Moisture Body Wash, 19.5 OuncePuracy Natural Body Wash, Sulfate-Free Bath and Shower Gel, Citrus & Sea Salt, 16 Ounce (2-Pack)Bliss Lemon & Sage Soapy Suds Body Wash | Gentle & Hydrating for Supremely Soft Skin | Paraben Free, Cruelty Free | 17.0 fl ozBurt’s Bees Extra Energizing Citrus and Ginger Body Wash – 12 Ounce Bottle (Pack of 3)Kopari Coconut Shower Oil- Skin Cleansing, Moisture Locking, Skin Hydrating Shower Oil (8.4oz)Loofah Bath Sponge Swirl Set XL 75g by Shower Bouquet: Extra Large Mesh Pouf (4 Pack Color Swirls) Luffa Loofa Loufa Puff Scrubber – Big Full Lather Cleanse, Exfoliate with Beauty Bathing AccessoriesBath Shower Sponge, 4 pack of Body Shower Cleaning Sponges Nylon Mesh Bath Shower Body Washing Clean Exfoliate Puff Scrubbing Towel Cloth Soft Shower Ball Dead Skin Brush Back Cleaner6 Packs Exfoliating Loofah Pads,100% Natural Loofah Sponge Scrubber Brush Close Skin for Men and Women,Perfect for Bath Spa and Shower (6 Pack) (6-Pack)
- Nails: If you have time and money, schedule a mani/pedi. Not an option? Enjoy some self-care time doing your nails at home. Stock up on supplies to be all set for a pampering experience.
ZIZION Nail Clippers Kit Manicure Pedicure set with Holographic Case(Pink)Litchi Electric Manicure Pedicure Kit, 13-in-1 Complete Nail Care Set, Soften, Shape, File, Buff, Shine Nails, Remove Calluses & Cuticles, Rhodamine RedConair Foot Spa/Pedicure Spa with Soothing Vibration Massage, Lavender/WhiteOneleaf 2PCS Professional Pedicure Rasp Foot File Cracked Skin Corns Callus Remover for Extra Smooth and Beauty FootOPI Spring 2019 Tokyo Collection Mini Nail Lacquer SetKleancolor Nail Polish – Awesome Metallic Full Size Lacquer Lot of 12-pc Set Body Care / Beauty Care / Bodycare…
- Hair: Take care of your tresses for some special pampering time.
- get a hair cut
- Make-Up: Play with new colors and applications
- Facial: Schedule a facial or having some DIY fun.
- Make your own face mask, scrub, or toner.
- Or have some facial supplies in your self-care arsenal when you need them!
Dead Sea Mud Mask for Face & Body – 100% Natural Spa Quality – Best Pore Reducer & Minimizer to Help Treat Acne , Blackheads & Oily Skin – Tightens Skin for a Visibly Healthier Complexion – 8.8 OZO Naturals Hydrating Watermelon & Vitamin C Gel Face Mask. Nourishing, Balancing, Toning, Great for Combination Skin, Rich in Vitamins A & C & B6, Anti-Aging, Antioxidants. Vegan. 8 OzBentonite Clay Mask Infused with Organic Apple Cider Vinegar – 100% Natural – Worlds First 2 in 1 Most Powerful Facial – All Natural Deep Pore Cleansing Helps Remove Impurities from The SkinACURE Brightening Facial Scrub, 4 OunceMicrodermabrasion Facial Scrub & Face Exfoliator – Natural Exfoliating Face Mask with Manuka Honey & Walnut – Moisturizing Facial Exfoliant for Dull Dry Skin, Wrinkles, Acne Scars & More 2.0oz/56.6gM3 Naturals Himalayan Salt Infused with Collagen & Stem Cell Body Scrub & Face Scrub with Lychee Sweet Almond Oil Skin Care Exfoliating Blackheads Acne Scars Reduces Wrinkles Souffle 12 OZInstaNatural Vitamin C Facial Toner – Anti Aging Face Spray with Witch Hazel – Pore Minimizer & Calming Skin Treatment for Sensitive, Dry & Combination Types – Prep for Serums & Moisturizers – 4 ozMario Badescu Facial Spray with Rosewater & Facial Spray with Green Tea Duo, 4 oz.
- Put on your p.j.s
- Wear a super comfy shirt (I LOVE my Rock Your Homeschool t-shirt that I got from Rush Order Tees!!)
- Read a fun magazine
- Take a nap
- Enjoy a favorite food
- Stir up a yummy drink
Self-Care Ideas for When You Need Grounding
As a mom, you have a lot on your mind. Errands to run, chores to complete, and meals to plan. All that stuff can start to swirl around your head, making you feel overwhelmed, anxious, and like a space cadet.
Try these grounding activities when you need to get centered and feel more in control so you can enjoy self-care time:
- Lay on the floor & “melt”: This is one of my favorite ways to literally feel grounded! Simply lay on the floor (if your kids are around, make sure to tell them not to jump on you. My boys think it means it’s time to roll on the floor with mommy) and let your muscles “melt” into the ground. Aaah!
- Mindful breathing: Take cleansing breaths through your nose and out your mouth. Or try any of these breathing exercises to get grounded.
- Candle: Slow yourself down and light a candle or two. Sit and gaze at it. Watch the flame waver about and let your cares drift away.
Chesapeake Bay Candle Scented Candle, Balance + Harmony (Water Lily Pear), MediumBath & Body Works, Aromatherapy Stress Relief 3-Wick Candle, Eucalyptus SpearmintYINUO LIGHT Scented Candles Gift Set, 100% Natural Soy Wax Travel Tin Candles for Stress Relief and Aromatherapy Relaxation, 4 x 4.4 Ounce Tins
- Essential oils: I’m not an expert in essential oils but love learning about the benefits of these natural wonders. My favorite spot to find affordable and quality essential oils is Edens Garden. (I’m not an affiliate or sell these products. But, if you use this link, I do get Aroman Notes. Find out more here.)
- Music: Play music that is grounding to you. Perhaps you find classical music to be calming. Or you like a Gregorian chant.
- Unplug: Turn off your devices. Step away from screens. Move away from the fast-past online world.
- Guided imagery: This powerful practice is helpful for kids and adults. Great way to escape busy and find your center.
- Nap: Never underestimate a power nap!
- Affirmation: Use a positive self-statement to bring you back to reality. Learn more about affirmations and get free resources here.
- Journal: Start or work in your personal journal. Getting it all out on paper can be so therapeutic!
- Declutter: Maybe you feel buried in things? Taking time to get rid of stuff can help you feel so much better. Do some mindful decluttering.
- Organize a drawer or shelf: Just like decluttering, only not getting rid of stuff. The physical act of cleaning up your space can feel good externally and internally.
- Brain dump: Feel like you have 553 things rolling around in your head? Get them out with a brain dump!
- Planning: Gather up all those things to do and thoughts and get them organized into realistic lists and dates.
- Call or text a friend
- Watch a sunrise: Wake up a bit early (or if you’re already up because of your kids) and appreciate the rising of the sun.
- Watch a sunset: Evenings feel crazy? Slow yourself down by watching the setting of the sun.
- Stargaze: Step outside on a clear night and observe the stars. Can you find any constellations or other shapes?
- Cloud gaze: Make an overcast day less gloomy by cloud gazing! Simply observe or look for shapes and figures.
- Listen to nature sounds
Great Energizing Self-Care Activities
Did you know that there are other ways than coffee to perk up your day? Who knew?!?
When you feel tired or need a pick-me-up, try one of these self-care ideas to give you a boost of energy.
- Calisthenics: Pretend you’re in gym class (fun times) and do some jumping jacks, toe touches, and windmills. Get your body movin’!
- Dance party: Or get your body groovin’! Put on some fun tunes and have a DIY dance party.
- Fresh air: Step outside or open a window. Gulp up some fresh air to feel refreshed.
- Walk: Go for a walk. If you can’t get out of the house, take a few laps inside (even just one room).
- Make an upbeat playlist: Go to your favorite place to play music (I love Amazing Prime Music) and create a super fun playlist of songs that make your toes tap.
- make drinking water fun with lemon, lime, or orange slices
- have a special water bottle that inspires you
HYDRO CELL Stainless Steel Water Bottle with Straw & Wide Mouth Lids (40oz) – Keeps Liquids Perfectly Hot or Cold with Double Wall Vacuum Insulated Sweat Proof Sport Design (Red/Orange 40oz)Contigo Jackson Reusable Water Bottle, 24oz, Grayed JadePolar Bottle Insulated Water Bottle (24-Ounce) (Blue)MIRA 17 Oz Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Water Bottle | Double Walled Cola Shape Thermos | 24 Hours Cold, 12 Hours Hot | Reusable Metal Water Bottle | Leak-Proof Sports Flask | Swirl
- Ice: Apply ice cubes around your eyes and cheeks. You’ll quickly wake up!
- Herbal tea
- Make a smoothie
- Healthy snack
- Get some sun!: Soak up some rays and get some Vitamin D.
- Read a good book
- Use uplifting essential oils
- Splash your face with cold water
- Grab a cup of coffee, tea, or other favorite pick-me-up beverage
- Repeat an energizing self-care quote or affirmation 3x
- Watch a funny TV show or movie
- Listen to an inspirational podcast
- Educational app: Play a fun app. Learn a new language on DuoLingo, do word puzzles, or play trivia.
- Aromatherapy: Enjoy an energizing scent, like peppermint or rosemary.
- Call a positive friend or family member
- Send a silly text to a loved one (and use goofy emojis)
- Plan a fun day or vacation
- Collect loose change and get a special treat
- Sing one of your favorite songs any way you want!
Creative & Motivational Ways to Enjoy Self-Care Time
If you want to get your creative juices flowing or need some motivation, try one of these self-care activities:
- Color: Use one of your kids’ coloring books or get an adult coloring book just for you.
Good Vibes Coloring Book (Coloring is Fun) (Design Originals): 30 Beginner-Friendly Relaxing & Creative Art Activities on High-Quality Extra-Thick Perforated Paper that Resists Bleed ThroughAdult Coloring Book : Stress Relieving Designs Animals, Mandalas, Flowers, Paisley Patterns And So Much More: Coloring Book For AdultsAdult Coloring Books Good vibes: Dont give up : Motivate your life with Brilliant designs and great (Volume 16)
- Doodle or draw: Pick up a pencil or pen and sketch, doodle, or draw.
- Chalk pastels: One of my favorite ways to get creative!!
- Create with playdough or clay
- Make a vision board: You can adapt these vision board ideas to make a personal one.
- Yummy baking
- Creative cooking
- Write a letter, note, or card
- Listen to a motivational talk
- Read a self-help book
- Make a Self-Care Box: Use some self-care time to prepare for future self-care times. Add your favorite materials and resources so you’ll be ready to go whenever self-care time pops up!
- Learn a new skill
- Watch a tutorial
- Watch a TED talk
- Write a love letter to yourself
- Do a Random Act of Kindness
- Window shop (in real life or online)
- Put together a scrapbook (online or in real life)
- Read a spiritual resource
- Look in the mirror and tell yourself one amazing thing that you love about yourself
Get Your Free Printable List to Enjoy Self-Care Ideas for Moms
Ready to take the next step to better self-care? Grab this free download of ideas to inspire and encourage you to enjoy your “me time”.
You can print out as many copies as you need. If you know a mom who you think would benefit from these self-care ideas and printable list, please share the link to this post with them
When you click on the image below to subscribe and join the Rock Your Homeschool community, you’ll receive this printable list in a PDF download in an email, along with a super secret password that opens the library to all RYHS freebies.
In addition to your freebies, you’ll be added to our email list and I’ll update you with ways to take better care of you so you can make learning and life fun again!
(Psst! Current RYHS members just need to access the Subscriber Freebies page and enter the password in your welcome email. Or get the instant download in the email the week of this post)
What’s your #1 struggle with self-care?
Let me know in the comments area below & we can brainstorm ways so you can enjoy self-care time 🙂
And don’t forget to check out How to Make the Most of Time for You: Powerful Self-Care for Moms!