We continue with Life of Fred Butterflies -Chapter 5, At the Food Court. This chapter is full of interesting facts-and we had such fun learning with Fred!
Math (and other super cool!) concepts covered in this chapter include:
- protein and calcium
- history of the straw
- half pound=8 ounces
- ordinal numbers
- skip counting
There were so many fun ways too look closer at Life of Fred Butterflies Ch. 5! 6 of these fun ways are highlighted here in these Life of Fred lesson extensions.
1. Snack Burgers: These snack burgers were yummy! While we were creating them, I reviewed ordinal numbers-what comes first? Second ingredient is what?
Can you guess what the ingredients are? Sign Up! to access the planner and find out!
2. Plastic Cap Clock Match: After scrounging through our recycling bins (yes, we have 2! lots to recycle with 5 boys!), I was able to find 12 plastic caps. I found this cool idea on Sugar Aunts but slightly modified it. You could use other materials-felt, foam, construction paper…
3. Skip Counting with Straws: This math activity was easy to put together and lots of fun! To help “organize” the bundles a bit, I simply drew lines on paper of the color straw to play a type of matching game.
4. Burger Stack!: This idea kind of evolved as I explained it (as many of our homeschool ideas do!). We prepared our burger pieces out of felt. The boys thought it would be fun to turn Burger Stack! into a game of Minute to Win It. I gave them instructions of what color felt needed to go first, second, etc. (practice those ordinal numbers!) and paired them into teams. I gave the teams time to form their plans (cooperation!) and the build-off began!
5. Playdough Ordinal Burgers: The boys (& Mommy!) had fun making these playdough mini-burgers. I included our homemade playdough recipe given to me by my mom, a retired Kindergarten teacher. (Trust me on this-she made this recipe over and over again to use in her classroom-it never fails!) I shall call it “Nani’s Playdough” (my boys call her Nani)-and let me tell you, it makes a huge batch that can last for over 6 months when stored in airtight container!
6. Food Plate Coloring Page and/or Collage: Chapter 5 begins with a discussion on Fred’s unhealthy eating habits. Protein and calcium are discussed. I thought this would be a good opportunity to talk to the boys about healthy eating choices. We talked about My Food Plate and the different types of foods that go into each section.