A summer walk scavenger hunt is a spectacular way to explore and enjoy the season with your kids.
With a few prompts and a simple printable, you’ll have a blast searching high and low for these summer nature objects.
Find out more about this summer scavenger hunt for kids and get your free printable activity today!
A Special Summer Way to Explore the Outdoors with Kids
Summer is my favorite season – and I LOVE to find special ways to celebrate it with my boys.
The long days, filled with sun and warmth, feel glorious. There’s always so much to do and enjoy.
Since our Spring Walk Scavenger Hunt was such a hit with my boys, I decided that we needed a Summer version, too. Fall and Winter will be coming soon 😉
Of course, we’ll be heading to our favorite hiking trails with our new free Summer Walk Scavenger Hunt printed out and placed on a clipboard (with attached pencil).
There are so many cool prompts to look for that it will take us a few walks at least to find them all. Fantastic motivation for getting outdoors even more!
Learn More About This Summer Walk Scavenger Hunt
This free printable Summer walk scavenger hunt is on one page.
Instructions are provided on the worksheet. Your kids will color in the objects as they see or find them.
This scavenger hunt for kids features Summer nature themes, including:
- Mole Hill
- Cracks in dry mud
You’ll also find two bonus prompts for activities to extend the Summer nature fun!
Creative Ideas for Enjoying This Summer Walk Scavenger Hunt
This printable scavenger hunt with Summer nature themes has your children coloring in the objects when seen or found.
I suggest having a variety of coloring tools to pick from, like crayons, color pencils, and fine-tip markers.
If coloring would be too difficult when you’re outside, no worries! Simply make a pencil mark next to the object and color in later 😉
Also, I recommend printing this Summer walk scavenger hunt on white cardstock. Regular printer paper will work fine – my boys, however, get very enthusiastic when doing this type of activity and have a tendency to accidentally rip the paper. Maybe your kids are the same way?
If you’d like to use this printable scavenger hunt again and again, you can laminate it or place in a dry erase sleeve.
Crayola Twistables Crayons Coloring Set, Kids Craft Supplies, Gift, 50 CountCrayola Mini Twistables Crayons, Fun Effects, Coloring Set, School Supplies, 24 CountCrayola Washable Markers with Retractable Tips, Clicks, School Supplies, Art Markers, 10 CountCrayola Super Tips Marker Set, Washable Markers, Assorted Colors, Art Set for Kids, 100 CountDeli 36 Pack Colored Pencils with Built-in Sharpener in Tube Cap, Vibrant Color Presharpened Pencils for School Kids Teachers, Soft Core Art Drawing Pencils for Coloring, Sketching, and PaintingNeenah Paper Exact Index, 110-Pounds, 8.5 x 11 Inches, 250 Sheets, White, 94 Brightness (WAU40411)Sooez Clipboard with Storage, High Capacity Nursing Clipboards with Pen Holder, Heavy Duty Plastic Storage Clipboard with Low Profile Clip, Clipboard Folder Side-Opening, Smooth Writing for Office
Tips & Tricks for Enjoying This Type of Scavenger Hunt
When embarking on this sort of outdoor scavenger hunt, you’ll find it helpful to keep these things in mind:
- Be prepared: I suggest wearing a backpack that has essential hiking supplies, like water, small first aid kit, bug spray, and sunscreen. Nature guide books for your local area are perfect additions, too.
- Keep it simple: Don’t feel like you have to search every square inch that you’re exploring. Or explain it all in scientific detail. And you don’t have to find each thing right away. Extend your nature walks to different dates and times for activities to look forward to spending together.
- Make the most of the adventure: Even if you’re not particularly an outdoorsy type, try to get into it for your kids. You can even tell them that nature walks aren’t your more favorite thing but you’re stretching yourself and trying new opportunities.
- Think outside the box: Stuck inside (weather, illness, or other yuckiness)? No worries! You can still enjoy this Summer scavenger hunt by enjoying it with books, nature documentaries, and videos.
- Add your own prompts: Before you go off on your Summer walk scavenger hunt, talk about the prompts. Make sure to include ideas that your kids have on the back (they can even create doodle to go along).
Get Your Free Summer Walk Scavenger Hunt
WooHoo! You’ll be having SO much fun with this very special Summer activity with your kids!
This free Summer Walk Scavenger Hunt is on one printable (PDF) page.
You may print as many of these scavenger hunts as you need for your personal use, family, class, homeschool co-op, or community event. If you have a friend or co-worker who’d like to have this sort of Summer fun, I ask that you please share this post with them. Thanks so much for your cooperation!
To get this free Summer Walk Scavenger Hunt, simply subscribe to Rock Your Homeschool.
You’ll get an email with a PDF file, along with a password to open the Subscriber’s Library to all RYHS freebies.
Plus, you’ll receive emails with ideas, resources, and encouragement to make life and learning fun 🙂
What Summer-themed prompts would you add to this printable scavenger hunt? Share your ideas in the comments area below.
Wishing you and your kids tons of Summer outdoor fun!