DIY Christmas Cards for Kids: Cute Crafts of Hot Cocoa Mugs (Free Set)
DIY Christmas cards for kids are delightful ways to celebrate the holiday season.
Your children will have a blast creating special ways to share the Christmas spirit with others, especially family and friends. And these super cute hot cocoa mugs (that are customizable) make it easy to enjoy hands-on creative fun!
Learn more about these printable Christmas cards for kids, discover fun ideas for sharing, and get your free printable set today!
Simple Yet Fun Ways to Add a Special Touch to Your Holiday Season with Kids
As the holiday season approaches, I’m always looking for new ways to enjoy special activities with my boys. Bonus points for activities that allow us to have hands-on fun plus create cute cards to give to others!
It’s been harder to find age-appropriate activities now that my boys are getting older, especially with crafts. They prefer projects that are a bit more of a challenge – and create in a more polished result.
This free printable hot cocoa mug card craft (with plenty of space for customizable message) meets all of those requirements. They can’t wait to make a bunch of these homemade Christmas cards for kids to give to family and friends!
Learn More About This Free Set of DIY Christmas Cards for Kids
This free printable template set handmade Christmas cards has 5 pages, including:
- Materials and Directions (step-by-step)
- 2 pages with color hot cocoa mug (including Pieces A-C with specific directions)
- 2 pages with black-and-white hot cocoa mug to customize (including Pieces A-C with specific directions)
You probably have all of the suggested materials already in your home (or class). You’ll need:
- Template sheets (so make sure to grab your free printable DIY Christmas Cards for Kids set!)
- White cardstock paper (8 1/2″ x 11″)
- Glue or glue stick
- Coloring tools – crayons, markers, color pencils
A clever idea is to add texture to the whipped cream part with white paint (glitter would be cool!), white pom pom or cotton balls, and glue (or hot glue guns). Oh, and green paint on the mug!
Here’s an overview of the step-by-step directions so you have an idea of what’s recommended. You’ll find these directions in the free pack (and in the video for this post)!
- Cut all the pieces from the card template sheets.
- Write your holiday message in the colored box on Piece B (or blank area if using black-and-white version) using a marker or color pencil.
- Place Piece A onto a flat surface with the curved edges at the top. Cut a slit along the solid line at the top right of Piece A.
- Use the ruler and sharp edge of your scissors to score the dotted lines of Piece A. Don’t score the bottom left solid horizontal line. (Be careful to only score and not cut the paper.)
- From the back of Piece A, feed the top of Piece B up into and through the top slot of Piece A. Slide Piece B up and down to make sure it can freely move.
- Apply glue to the front of the right flap. Apply glue to the back of the area above the cut slit. Apply glue behind the area marked on the left side of Piece A.
- Fold the previously scored lines toward the back and glue together, sandwiching Piece B.
- Again, pull Piece B up and down to make sure it can freely move and isn’t glued down. Allow Pieces A and B to dry.
- Next, cut out the mouth and handle of opening of Piece C (the front of the mug).
- Glue the handle onto Piece C for added stability.
- Apply glue to the back side of Piece C under the oval opening and along the top rim.
- Push Piece B down and out of the way. Then, carefully glue Piece C onto Piece A, evenly lining the shapes up.
- Cut the slit into the whipped cream piece. Pull Piece B back up into place. Glue the whipped cream onto the top of Piece B.
- Finally, insert a candy cane or other stick candy into the slot on the whipped cream.
Incredible Ideas for Boosting Creativity with These Holiday Cards
You can have so much fun with these DIY Christmas cards for kids!
Do a bit of brainstorming. Make a list of family, friends, and loved ones to give a handmade card to. As your kids are thinking of recipients, have them jot down holiday themes (if they’re planning on customizing the black-and-white mugs).
If you have a stash of Christmas cards from previous holiday seasons, go through them and circle or highlight messages. Your kids can copy those messages or think of unique ones. Also, your kids can use the pictures and themes on those cards for inspiration.
In addition to the recommended coloring tools (crayons, markers, and color pencils), consider using paints (watercolor or tempera) and Kwik Stix (or other tempera paint sticks).
Print out as many of these DIY Christmas cards of kids as you need to enjoy with your family members, class, or co-op.
Tips & Tricks for Enjoying This Type of DIY Craft During the Holidays
After looking at all of the steps to this hot cocoa mug craft, you may be wondering if it’s too complicated. No worries! With a bit of preparation, your children will have a blast making these cute homemade cards.
Gather all of the suggested materials prior to starting the craft. It’s so much easier and less stressful that way!
Prepare your work area. In our house, that means clearing off any unnecessary items (usually Legos, puzzle pieces, and books).
Look at your schedule and pick a day when you’ll have plenty of time to enjoy this craft.
Also, take it slow. No need to rush!
I find it helpful to review our “fun activity rules and expectations” with my boys.
And my #1 tip: Keep it relaxed and fun! There is no perfect or mistakes. You can transform your cards into special creations 😊
A great way to keep it fun is to chat with your kids about who to give their holiday card to and if they’d like to add any extra decorations – with other craft supplies like construction paper, washi tape with different patterns or even googly eyes to make it silly.
Get Your Free Printable Pack of DIY Christmas Cards for Kids
Ho ho ho! You’re on your way to enjoying fantastic DIY craft time with your kids as you make your own Christmas cards. An excellent way to get in the holiday spirit with special greeting cards!
This free template pack of DIY Christmas cards for kids (featuring hot cocoa mugs) is on five printable (PDF) pages.
You can most certainly print as many of these activities as you need for your personal use, family, class, homeschool co-op, or community event. If you have a friend or co-worker who’d enjoy to have this type of holiday fun, I ask that you please share this post with them. Thanks so much for your cooperation!
To get this free set of Hot Cocoa Mugs (DIY Christmas Card Crafts), simply subscribe to Rock Your Homeschool.
You’ll receive an email with a PDF file, along with a password to open the Subscriber’s Library to all RYHS freebies.
Plus, you’ll get emails with ideas, resources, and encouragement to make life and learning fun 🙂
(Psst! Current RYHS members just need to access the Subscriber Freebies page and enter the password in your welcome email. If you have any problems or questions, please email Amy at [email protected])
Get your FREE DIY Christmas Cards for Kids Pack by tapping HERE or on the image below.
What DIY Christmas card ideas would you add to this one of printable templates?Wishing you tons of holiday fun with your kids (and a very Merry Christmas)!